Monday, January 13, 2014

Doctor appointment day

I have a  couple of main doctors. So, it seems like I am visiting the doctor all the time. Such is the life of having HIV. Today, I am seeing my doctor for pain management. 

Having HIV for so long has caused chronic nueopathic pain. It is a common problem to have with HIV. Nerve damage happens with HIV. I take low dose medication for the pain. Which means I have to still live with a certain amount of pain, but that is okay with me. My only other option is to go on stronger pain medications like morphine and I do not want that, because those kind of medications make you feel like you are a zombie and still give about the same level of relief. Some other doctors I have seen seem to be pushing the stronger painkillers. I don't get why unless they get some kind of a financial kickback from the big pharmacy manufacturers. 

I'm glad that I have a doctor that listens to what I say, understands the side effects that I deal with and prescribes what will help me in the best possible way. 

I've just been in and out of the doctors, to the pharmacy and now to the grocery store. I am hoping to have the day wrapped up soon. I'm ready for a nap and worn out.

When it comes down to it, a day at the doctors is very stressful and to wear me out. So, try to manage stress when dealing with doctors. It's very important.

Another frustrating thing about going to one of my doctors is that my husband and I have to be seeing separately on separate visits. However, the other doctor I have to go see will see us at the same time as a family on the single visit. The doctors office that gets an F on seeing us as a couple is OU's IDI clinic (). They promises over a year ago to begin seeing us as a family on a single visit. I think I'll bring this up on our next visit. We've had a few rough times on our recent visit with the doctors because I've let him know what I think about the way they operate. But, you never get things fixed unless you address them.

So, that was my day today and some of my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment